Jos Buttler, who will be leading the Three Lions in the mega tournament for the very first time must be looking to make it a memorable one by lifting the coveted trophy.
However, England dealt with a huge blow ahead of the showpiece event as their star left-arm pacer Reece Topley was ruled out of the tournament with an ankle injury.
Afghanistan, on the other hand, will be playing their first T20I game since the Asia Cup and will be looking to start its tournament campaign on a victorious note.
While the bowling unit of Afghanistan has blown hot and cold, the onus will be on their power-packed batting unit to deliver in this game.
|Match||England vs Afghanistan|
|Venue||Perth Stadium, Perth|
|Date||Saturday, October 22, 2022|
|Time||4:30 PM (IST) / 11:00 AM (GMT) / 7:00 PM (Local)|
|TV Broadcast||Star Sports Network|
The pitch at Perth has been a high-scoring one. There hasn’t been many swings available for pacers at this venue, with batters going hard in the powerplay stage. As the match progresses, the spinners will come into play. A total of 170-190 will be the competitive total here.
- Total matches played: 2
- Matches won batting first: 1
- Matches won bowling first: 1
- Average 1st Innings scores: 157
- Average 2nd Innings scores: 154
- Highest total recorded: 208/6 (20 Ov) by ENG vs AUS
- Highest score chased: 109/0 (11.5 Ov) by AUS vs PAK
- Lowest score defended: 208/6 (20 Ov) by ENG vs AUS
Probable Playing XI
Jos Buttler (C & WK), Alex Hales, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Liam Livingstone, Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood.
Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmanullah Gurbaz (WK), Ibrahim Zadran, Darwish Rasooli, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi (C), Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan, Usman Ghani, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Mujeeb Ur Rahman.
- Reece Topley has been ruled out of the tournament due to an ankle injury.
- Tymal Mills replaced him in the England squad.
England & Afghanistan Team’s Form
ENG vs AFG Head-to-Head Record
- Matches Played: 2
- England Won: 2
- Afghanistan Won: 0
T20 World Cup 2022: ENG vs AFG Match Prediction
- Predicted top run-scorer for England: Jos Buttler/Liam Livingstone
- Predicted top wicket-taker for England: Mark Wood/Chris Woakes
- Predicted top run-scorer for Afghanistan: Rahmanullah Gurbaz/Najibullah Zadran
- Predicted top wicket-taker for Afghanistan: Fazalhaq Farooqi/Rashid Khan
Who will win today’s match between England and Afghanistan?
With both sides boasting balanced units, a cracking game beckons in Perth. However, England will ideally fancy their chances against Afghanistan, given the latter’s inconsistency in the shortest format of the game.