Ahead of the much-anticipated contest and the gala event, here’s a look at the squad that Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced for the T20 World Cup 2022:
India Squad for ICC T20 World Cup:
Rohit Sharma (Captain), KL Rahul (vice-captain), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Deepak Hooda, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Dinesh Karthik (wicket-keeper), Hardik Pandya, R. Ashwin, Yuzvendra Chahal, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Harshal Patel, Arshdeep Singh.
Standby Players – Mohd. Shami, Shreyas Iyer, Ravi Bishnoi, Deepak Chahar.
Key takeaways from India’s T20 World Cup squad:
- India’s frontline pacer Jasprit Bumrah and the master of slower deliveries Harshal Patel are back into the team.
- The young yorker specialist Arshdeep Singh has found a place in the T20 WC squad.
- The master of inswingers, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar has also retained his place.
- India’s senior pacer Mohammad Shami fails to find a spot in the Team India squad for T20 World Cup. He has been included in the reserve players’ list.
- Dinesh Karthik returned to the Indian T20I set-up after a stellar show in IPL 2022 for Royal Challengers Bangalore and the limited opportunities he got in Indian colours.
- No place for Kerala wicket-keeper batter Sanju Samson in the WC squad as the selectors went with Rishabh Pant and Dinesh Karthik as the two wicket-keeper batters.
- The selectors kept their faith in Deepak Hooda, who had an average Asia Cup outing.
- India’s ace all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja missed out on a place in the T20 World Cup Squad after sustaining a knee injury which also ruled him out of the Asia Cup mid-tournament.
- Axar Patel has been picked in the squad as Jadeja’s replacement. However, it will be interesting to see if he gets a place in playing XI or will Deepak Hooda get the preference.
- Young Ravi Bishnoi, who had an impressive outing in the recent concluded Asia Cup 2022 has failed to find a spot in the WC squad.
- Shreyas Iyer has failed to make a cut into WC squad. Rather he has been placed in the standby players’ list.