Universe Boss, Chris Gayle became 8th player in Indian Premier League (IPL) to reach 4,500 runs on Thursday while playing against Royal Challengers Bangalore. He has achieved this feat after scoring 16 runs during RCB vs KXIP match at Sharjah in IPL 2020.
Chris Gayle was not a part of Kings XI Punjab playing 11 in the first seven matches. He touched this special milestone in his debut match of IPL 2020. He crossed the 4,500 run mark when he smashed Washington Sundar for a SIX towards backward square leg in 13th over of KXIP’s over.
The 41-year-old started his IPL career with Kolkata Knight Riders, later he moved to Royal Challengers Bangalore. In the 2012 season of the Indian Premier League, he accumulated a mammoth total of 733 runs at a strike rate of 160 for RCB. In 125 matches played so far, he has scored 4,484 runs at an average of 41.13 and a strike rate of 151.02, with six centuries and 28 fifties, his highest score is 175 runs not out which he scored in IPL 2013. In the IPL 2018 player auction, he was bought by Kings XI Punjab at a base price of Rs 2 crore.
Chris Gayle IPL Records
- He holds the record of maximum, 17 sixes, in an IPL inning.
- Chris Gayle 175 runs against Pune Warriors India in 2013 season is the highest individual score in IPL history.
- Gayle also has a maximum number (329) of IPL sixes in Indian Premier League history and only player to hit 300 sixes. AB de Villiers is at second position with 225 sixes by his name.
- With 21 Man of the Match trophies, Chris Gayle has the most man of the match (21) in IPL so far after AB de Villiers, who has 22 Man of the Match trophies.
- Gayle is third overseas player in Indian Premier League to reach 4,500 runs after David Warner and AB de Villiers.