Soon after the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League concluded, the rumours regarding the addition of two new teams ahead the 14th edition of the tournament started to surface. Though the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has not confirmed the news yet but it has been speculated that the Board is all set to approve the addition of two new franchises.
As per a report in Cricbuzz, the approval will be done at the BCCI Annual General Meeting, set to be held on December 24. A notice with regards to the same has already been sent to affiliated units by the BCCI, signed by secretary Jay Shah.
If reports to be believed, the BCCI has shortlisted a total of 23 topics to be discussed at the AGM, which also includes the election of the vice president. Mahim Verma, who held the post after being elected unopposed last year, has given his resignation and is set to be replaced by a new name.
At the same time, AGM will also discuss the future of president Sourav Ganguly and secretary Shah. Both of them are way past their designated tenures and should have been taking a mandatory cooling-off period in normal circumstances.
Agenda points for the 89th Annual General Meeting:
- Confirmation of the minutes of the 88th Annual General Meeting of BCCI held on December 1, 2019, at BCCI Headquarters, Cricket Centre, Mumbai.
- Election of the Vice-President.
- Election of 2 (two) representatives of the General Body in the Governing Council of the IPL.
- Induction/appointment of the following members of the Governing Council:
(a) 2 (two) representatives of the General Body; and
(b) 1 (one) representative of the Indian Cricketer’s Association;
- Adoption of the Report of the Secretary for the year 2019-20 under review.
- Adoption of the Treasurer’s Report and the audited accounts for the year FY 2018-19.
- Adoption of the Annual Budget for the year FY 2020-21.
- Appointment of the Auditor or Auditors for the year 2019-20 and 2020-21 and fix their remuneration.
- Appointment of the Ombudsman and Ethics Officer.
- Appointment of the Cricket Committees and Standing Committees as mentioned in Rules 26 and 25 respectively.
- Appointment of the Umpires Committee as mentioned in Rule 27.
- Consideration of:
(a) the Report and recommendations of the Apex Council, the CEO and the Committees and to propose policy directions to the Apex Council;
(b) the Report and recommendations of the Governing Council and to propose policy directions to the Governing Council;
(c) the Reports of the Ombudsman and Ethics Officer and any recommendations made therein;
- Consideration of any motion, notice whereof is given by a Full Member to the Secretary, 21 (twenty-one) days before the meeting.
- To appoint the BCCI’s Representative or Representatives on the International Cricket Council and/or any similar organization.
- Approval on the inclusion of 2 (two) new team to the Indian Premier League.
- Discussion of BCCI’s stand on the inclusion of cricket in the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 2028.
- To update on ICC matters.
- To update on National Cricket Academy matters.
- To update on ICC T20 World Cup 2021 scheduled to be held in India.
- To update on India’s Future Tour Programs.
- Ratification of rules framed by the Apex Council, in terms of Rule 15 of BCCI’s Rules and Regulations.
- Consideration of any business, which the President may consider